18 jul 2021

J. A. Jiménez, Mexican philosopher

When we were attending college, my friend Alfredo told me about a conference he had attended where the speaker put the legend that is the title of this post.

I do not remember well what was the area of ​​the talk he attended, perhaps it was physics, astronomy or mathematics, which was the type of conference that we liked to attend, or perhaps it could have even been about biology, although physics students did not attend a lot to biology talks.

Alfredo told me that everyone in the public wondered who this Mexican philosopher Jiménez was, because the name was not familiar to anybody.

When people talk about Mexican philosophers, some known names arise closely linked to education such as Gabino Barreda who was a positivist philosopher at the end of the 19th century, or José Vasconcelos who created the motto of the National Autonomous University of Mexico "For my race, the spirit shall speak". Alternatively, people can think in names of prominent academics such as Alfonso Reyes, who was nominated several times for the Literature Nobel Prize but due to the currents of thought in the country, Mexican academics un supported him to obtain it. 

However, J. A. Jiménez is a philosopher who emerged from the people and wrote for the people.

Everyone who falls in love and seeks to “see the new dawn of a new day” understands his thoughts; he is able to give his own life to his love no matter what it is worth. Several times he speaks (using music) to someone who is not reciprocated in love and his sadness leads him to stay "in the corner of a canteen" and even abandons him in the hopelessness of "life is worth nothing, it always starts crying and so crying ends ”.

The Mexican philosopher J. A. Jiménez, better known as the composer José Alfredo Jiménez, of course, is a melancholic being who shares his sadness and even combines it with his joy. Once he said when he fall in love “I felt superior to anyone and tried to take some stars for you, but when I saw that none of them reached, I was so angry that I wanted to cry”.


Nowadays, Jiménez's work is still current because, perhaps for many persons, it is a good therapy to sing his songs in order to forget the suffering and seek comfort thinking: "I have no throne or queen or anyone who understands me but I am still the king."

In fact, José Alfredo's compositions are seriously analyzed from the therapeutic and philosophical points of view. Among his phrases, the author said: "after drink and drink life ends" and unfortunately, since he liked drinking a lot, he died of liver cirrhosis in 1973.

The king, as many know him, left us in some of his songs a reflection that says "a stone on the road taught me that my destiny was to roll and roll". I know that spheres are identified with this idea from time to time ... but not the polyhedra, at least not yet.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario