13 jun 2021

Scientific poetry: The number one, by Fernando Celada

Fernando Celada was a Mexican poet who was born in Xochimilco at the end of the 19th century. His most known poem is "The fall of the leaves". I read this poem for the first time in a book in Spanish entitled "The 1000 best poems in the world literature" that a friend from high school lent me. In recent years, I have searched for the book but have not been able to find it. The book, as I remember, had an excellent selection of poems such as "The seminarian with the black eyes" by Miguel Ramos Carrión, which was the first poem of that book that caught my attention and I loved it.

A few years later, however, I had the opportunity to meet the poet's grandson, the engineer Manuel Celada, who worked with my father in the disappeared National Railways of Mexico. 

Fernando Celada was also a social fighter and his poetry gave words to the workers class. At present, his poems are little known including the next one with a deep arithmetic reflection (the original version in Spanish is bellow):

The number one

By Fernando Celada

 

They all rebelled against the one

and the one of the figures was the first,

we were on the eve of fasting

and you had to exercise the "Eat and eat".

 

The two said: I need nothing!

It was all evolution: I am the second.

And the three cries out with a shrill cry:

I am the third! Trinity of the world!

 

And unweaving his figure, the fourth

said with thunderous curses:

What can they blame me for? I am the theater

where they represent the mices.

 

And the five, without delay or imitation,

cried out: I am a million pore soul!

I am the existence of the five fingers

of the miser counting his treasures.

 

But the six, raising its head,

said: I am all that the world reaches!

intelligence, will, firmness,

brain, heart and mistrust.

 

And the seven, crossing the deep abyss

of his miserable being, angrily cried out:

I am the great truth, I am the number

searched by God to create the world!

 

The eight, raising his head,

he shouted: For my life there are no setbacks,

I am a huge bundle of sadness,

making quarters of the months!

 

And the nine, haughty, disrespectful,

with all his brothers, the younger ones,

exclaimed all sad and all restless:

I am like the old fighters!

 

Only the silent zero, in his obstinacy,

was the great and opportune philosopher,

and he said he would just scream

having on his right the number one.

 

Oh, I have thought with deep pain,

in the middle of this sad masquerade,

that there are many zeros in the world

with the suffering equivalent to nothing.

(the original poem in Spanish)

 

El número uno

Por Fernando Celada

 

Todos se revelaron contra el uno

y el uno de los guarismos fue el primero,

estábamos en víspera de ayuno

y había que ejercitar el “Tragadero”.

 

El dos dijo: ¡De nada necesito!,

Era toda evolución: soy el segundo.

Y el tres clama con estridente grito:

¡Soy el tercero!, ¡trinidad del mundo!

 

Y destejiendo su figura, el cuarto,

dijo con estruendosas maldiciones:

¿Qué pueden reprocharme? Soy el teatro

en donde representan los ratones.

 

Y el cinco, sin tardanza ni remedos,

clamó: ¡Soy alma de un millón de poros!

Soy la existencia de los cinco dedos

con que cuenta el avaro sus tesoros.

 

Pero el seis, levantando la cabeza,

dijo: ¡Soy todo lo que el mundo alcanza!,

inteligencia, voluntad, firmeza,

cerebro, corazón y desconfianza.

 

Y el siete, rebasando el hondo abismo

de su mísero ser, clamó iracundo:

¡Yo soy la gran verdad, soy el guarismo

que buscó Dios para formar el mundo!

 

El ocho, levantando la cabeza,

gritó: ¡Para mi vida no hay reveses,

soy un enorme fardo de tristeza,

haciendo cuarterones de los meses!

 

Y el nueve, altivo, falto de respeto,

con todos sus hermanos, los menores,

exclamó todo triste y todo inquieto:

¡Yo soy como los viejos luchadores!

 

Sólo el cero, callado en su porfía,

fue el filósofo grande y oportuno,

y dijo que él tan sólo gritaría

teniendo a su derecha al número uno.

 

¡Ay!, he pensado con dolor profundo,

en medio de esta triste mascarada,

que habemos muchos ceros en el mundo

con el doliente equivalente a nada.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario